Monday, June 18, 2012

Finishing up in Cinque Terre - Sunday

I decided to spend most of the day in CT rather than rush and try to see Lucca also. Figuring after ruining my legs the day before my upper body could use a little workout, I rented a kayak and poked around the coast. First I headed north toward Levanto and quickly spotted several dinner plate-sized jellyfish - meduse in Italian (love that). They were ringed with an incredibly deep purple, and very obligingly floated just beneath the surface of the water so I could stare at them a bit. Not a whole lot of wildlife otherwise: a bunch of seagulls, some little (and not so little) fish, and some crazy fish waggling its fin out of the water. I took a rest on an empty beach (accessible only by boat and off the beaten path), but was worried about my kayak getting swept away with all my stuff along for the ride, so I didn't wander too far. I did, however, poke a lot of snails and a crab or two. I headed back for Monterosso but wasn't quite ready to quit and continued on to vernazza. After another hour or so, I figured it was time to head back, grab some lunch, and head back to Pisa.

I took the ferry from Monterosso to Riomaggiore. The ferry also stops in Vernazza and Manarola on the way, but not Corniglia as they are on top of a cliff and don't have a port. The view was amazing, particularly because I could get a better view of where I hiked the day before. I was glad to see some of the trails up to the sanctuary path looked every bit as bad as they felt.

After a brief detour through La Spezia, I made my way back to Pisa and had some dinner. Prawn stew was delicious, but I have no idea how to eat the heads on those things. I cracked them open and scooped out as much as looked edible, and decided I probably haven't been missing too much.

This morning I did a little bit of grocery store shopping for treats to bring home - mom, I am going to bring you fish from every possible location after that weird care package you once sent - and am now sitting at the airport waiting for my flight. Not a bad couple of days!

1. Riomaggiore from the ferry
2. My rest stop while kayaking

No comments:

Post a Comment